Is this your first time with Junkofunc?
Not really. We've had around 5 or 6 shows so far since 2008. We started out as an 8-piece, and then 10. Now we've added two more members. It's become a 12-piece and has a full horn section now. We also have Elvira Arul in the lineup now for some female vocals.

What is your target for Junkofunc?
We're hoping to play more festivals. We're pretty much a funk cover band. I don't really see bands covering this kind of music around the region.

You're obviously a popular sessionist having played for Ning Baizura, Sheila Majid and the likes. How do your escape that stigma and do your own thing?
Actually I've done less less lately. I've always been a performing musician and I do a lot of solo shows highlighting different sounds. The response to my own playing hasn't been 100% great but it's good enough for what I want to achieve. I have a very supportive niche audience when I play solo. It's been working out nicely.

Tell us a bit about Paul Ponnudurai…
He's my number one. He's been my mentor for over twenty five years. I'm upset that he's gone, but I'm also a bit angry in a way. I'm disappointed that he's never recorded any of his original material before his passing. The whole industry has lost its benchmark. He was up there, you know what I mean? There's no one to look up to anymore. He was the idol for a lot of performing guitarists. Not just me. A lot of people want to play like him but really can't. He's developed a style of his own. He's on a different planet. People know that he's good, but they don't know how good he is. He keeps raising the benchmark. Keeps everyone on his or her toes. The family is probably going to organize a tribute or something once everything is settled down. Whatever I play, is influenced by him. It's a big loss.

How does Junkofunc relate to your own solo stuff?
Funk is a passion for me. I got this band together to pursue that passion. But on my own, I'm more of a blues, R&B, and folk performer. It's a completely different side of me. I try to do as much as I can. I don't want to be imprisoned by a certain genre. I have different sides to me.

Why No Black Tie?
This is the place. The "it" place" Sound is great, musicians love to play here, nice crowd. Look at the crowd. They're so responsive. They're real music loving crowd. If they're paying for it, that means they love it. That keeps us on our toes as the expectations are very high. This place is awesome. I've been performing here ever since the old NBT down the road.