Nuffnang

Jumaat, 9 Mac 2012

Zizan Razak - Google Blog Search

Zizan Razak - Google Blog Search


Cinta Kura-Kura [2012] | Planet MamüVies - Movie News, Reviews <b>...</b>

Posted: 08 Mar 2012 07:00 PM PST

Director: Nizam Zakaria
Cast: Aeril Zafrel, Tiz Zaqyah, Zizan Razak, Bob, Norhayati Taib
Genre: Romantic comedy
Rating: General
Excerpt: "Longest hour and a half with nothing you can reminisce about after it's over..."

Synopsis

Nico (voiced by Zizan Razak) is a tortoise with a secret unbeknownst even to its owner, Nani (Tiz Zaqyah); Nico can communicate with humans. But despite being oblivious to this fact, Nico is special to her anyway as it came to her soon after the death of her father, and it helps fill the void left by him. Meanwhile, her hopelessly romantic next door neighbour who harbours a dream of being a successful musician is quite taken with her. Nico, who is used to having all of Nani's attention to itself, vows to do whatever it can to sabotage Adam's attempts to woo her, and "hilarity" ensues.
What to Expect
1. A good idea gone train wreck
2. An unbearable slapstick comedy
3. Lots of "filler" scenes
4. For it to feel underdeveloped
5. Missed opportunities

What NOT to Expect
1. Romance
2. Comedy
3. Coherence
4. To care about anything or anyone

Review
A little disclaimer, I'm not doing this to be mean because I of all people should know that movies like this is just not my cup of tea. So you might get the impression that I went for it just because I wanted to piss all over it, when in actuality it was really out of curiosity as the premise seemed promising, and I genuinely thought that there will be something in it for me. I set the bar pretty low, I didn't have any expectations and still I was disappointed.

Whoa, where have I said that before?

Now to be fair, I still think it was a pretty cute concept and this movie could have been fun to watch, if it weren't for the movie-watching culture here, namely the sort of people who tend to favour hollow, superficial and watered-down movies made to cater to as many people as possible, the kind of movies you'd forget the very moment you step out of the cinema.



Before you rush to the comments section wanting to remind me that Hollywood is better equipped for movies like these (i.e. bigger budget, more experienced animators, more advanced animation capabilities), hear me out because the CGI was not one of the things that I took issue with. It did the job, and I couldn't care less if it's not up to international standards. It's okay, Cinta Kura-Kura isn't an action flick or a period piece.


In fact, it was a well-made movie from a technical standpoint. I noticed and appreciated how it was shot in multiple angles, and the editing was pretty seamless too. Therefore I won't shortchange the production crew because they did a good job. The same goes with the acting.

The problem with this movie for me is not the form in which it was presented, but rather the substance. Or should I say lack of it, lighthearted Romantic-comedy notwithstanding. The movie took too long to get from one plot point to another, and it compensated by having plenty of insignificant, consequence-free, "filler" scenes. I wish I could give an example, but by the time I got to writing this review, I've already forgotten what I saw.

Sorry.



So you see what I mean when I said that it seemed like it was greenlighted for the sole purpose to flex KRU Studios' CGI muscles? The movie as a whole was pretty underwhelming and the only thing you'd remember is that this movie features a talking tortoise voiced by Zizan Razak. Again, nothing wrong with the animation, but the character of Nico just didn't shine, didn't steal the show like it was meant to and I ended up not caring at all of he died on that chopping block.

Although, I think that would have at least made me chuckle.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan