Nuffnang

Sabtu, 13 April 2013

Yuna - Google Blog Search

Yuna - Google Blog Search


<b>Yuna</b>: The International Sweetheart Shines Her Way | MTV IGGY

Posted: 12 Apr 2013 01:43 PM PDT

When she was six, Yuna Zarai (known professionally by her first name) realized she might have a gift.

"I sang along to a commercial on TV," the Malaysia-born singer/songwriter recalls. "I was singing and was like, 'Hey, I'm not bad at all!' The tone of my voice, I know that it matched. It was in tune. My parents saw this and started to send me to piano lessons and started to nurture my music skills."

That observation has transformed her life. After becoming a star in Malaysia, Yuna was signed to a record deal in the US on the strength of her playful, folk-pop tunes that bring to mind the best of Feist, Lianne La Havas, and fellow countrywoman Zee Avi. She's since moved to Los Angeles where she is building an international career. While her ascent to the international stage surprised the former law student, Yuna says it shocked her parents—who didn't see her perform live until she was nearly twenty.

"They had no idea what I was doing," she recalls of the first time they visited a jazz club in Malaysia early on in her career to watch her show. "They came and it was the first time they saw me perform. They had no idea I cold perform and play the guitar and interact with people. They were like, 'I didn't know you could do that! The songs that you were singing, those were your songs?' Yeah. 'You wrote them, yourself?' They were blown away."

At twenty-seven, Yuna has already had the privilege of working with several major names in music. Her words take on a giddy edge when describing her stint in the studio with Pharrell, who produced "Live Your Life," a hazy, French-flavored track on her self-titled debut. She effusively praises Adam Young of Owl City and Alan Silvestri—both of whom she worked with while recording the effervescent The Croods theme song, "Shine Your Way." She even calls working with Mike Einziger of Incubus (who produced several tracks on her forthcoming EP Sixth Street) "a dream."

However, she admits that working with Chris Martin and the gang remains a bucket-list item. Her eyes flash with a moment of envy when the name of another singer who has already had the honor is brought up.

"I got really jealous when Coldplay had Rihanna on their track!" she with a hearty laugh. "They don't do that a lot! They don't collaborate a lot. I wish I was Rihanna!"

So what would have young Yuna, the child singing along to commercials, have thought of her life now, where she not only makes a living as a professional musician, but is counted among one of the industry's rising stars? Yuna carefully considers the question, shaking her head and laughing at the enormity of trying to put her experiences into perspective.

"She would have been like, 'What? Get out of here!' She lets loose another infectious giggle. "I never thought when I was six or seven years old, that I would ever be an artist out here making music in America. It's crazy. But it's happening, and I'm trying to not get lost in it."

Yuna's new EP Sixth Street is out May 7 via Indie Pop.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan