Nuffnang

Jumaat, 8 November 2013

Akim - Google Blog Search

Akim - Google Blog Search


Santa Claus Is a Black Man: <b>Akim</b> Vann Interview - The Root

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 09:47 AM PST

santaisblack_122112_575se

Teamyee.tv

(The Root) -- "Daddy, do you know what happened last night? Well, I saw Santa, and he looked a lot like you. He was handsome, he had an Afro, he was really out of sight. Now I'm going to go tell everybody that I saw Santa."

That's the tiny voice of then-5-year-old Akim Vann, starring in her songwriter-producer father Teddy Vann's take on "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." When "Santa Claus Is a Black Man" was released in 1973, it became a cult classic, merging African-American empowerment with the spirit of the holiday.

Thirty-nine years later, it's still heard on black radio stations, and many consider it an essential piece of seasonal nostalgia. But for the Grammy Award-winning Vann (he co-wrote Luther Vandross' hit "Power of Love/Love Power"), who is also remembered for hosting some of New York's first Kwanzaa celebrations, mentoring children and producing The Adventures of Colored Man, the song was more than just a cute remake or a chance to put his little girl in the spotlight.

In fact, Akim, whose mother is Chinese, told The Root that she remembers going to the drugstore with her father to buy makeup so she could be a "little browner for the album cover."

"I don't think he wanted anyone to look at it and for me to be questionable," she said.

We spoke to her about more of her adult perspective on the song that made her famous, her late father's commitment to promoting positive imagery for African Americans and how she carries on his legacy by delivering the message that what's "fun and good and happy" can also be black.

The Root: You were 5 years old when you recorded the song. Do you remember it?

Akim Vann: I do. My dad was a music producer, a songwriter ... he just did many things, and the song was one of those. It was definitely his brainchild, and he just recruited me to sing it. So I was just going with the flow. I do remember some late nights in the studio. And there were some other songs on the album where he brought in other children, so it was definitely fun, but I didn't get how powerful it would be.

TR: How do you look at it differently now?

AV: As a child, it was not a big deal. When you're that young, you're not like, "Oh, wow, I'm on the radio." I would hear it on this station called WURL. They would play it every Christmas, and it was kind of just normal to me. But there were a lot of other things about my family that, to a lot of people, probably seemed out of the ordinary, too. For example, my mom is Chinese and my dad is black, and I think at that time that was a really rare combination ...

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan