Nuffnang

Sabtu, 19 Januari 2013

Shila Amzah - Google Blog Search

Shila Amzah - Google Blog Search


Public listed company paid <b>Shila Amzah</b> RM300 ABN News | Eng

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 07:22 AM PST

By Noorsila Abd Majid

There was a time in Shila Amzah's life that she only commanded a RM300 pay cheque for a show. That was for her performance at the launch of a portal for a public-listed company in Malaysia way back in 2009.

Not that she's a newbie. The beautifully talented Malaysian pop star has been singing for 12 years and was the first runner-up of 8TV hit reality TV show, One In A Million in 2008.

Yes, she's come a long way, baby.

Thanks to Asian Wave 2012. The highly popular Chinese reality TV show on China's cable TV has propelled Shila to superstardom. And the power-lunged singer has never forgetten to count her blessings since.

"It (Winning the Asian Wave) does make a big change," the 27-year-old recollects during an exclusive interview at Restoren Rebung in Bangsar. "I wasn't that well known in Malaysia. People knew me as one of the members of 3 Suara (her collaboration with Ning Baizura and Jaclyn Victor). But now, I'm known as Shila Amzah, the one who has represented Malaysia and won the 'Asian Wave' in Shanghai. The press coverage on my performances in Shanghai was huge. It was in the Malay, English and Chinese newspapers."

Even walking in the streets of Malaysia and China is hard for the tudung-clad singer nowadays. "Last time, when I walked in the streets, only the Malays could recognise me because of my achievements in the Malay music industry. Now, the Chinese ask if they can have my signature or take a photo with me. I'm happy that I can do something for my country and make everyone proud of me."

Consistently good press coverage aside, her victory at Asian Wave has also earned Shila a RM5 million career development fund. "It's 100 percent for the development of my career in China and Asia," she enthuses. "The money is for my albums, concerts and tours."

Although the Patah Seribu hitmaker has chosen KL as her career base, the Shanghai Media Group, the creator of Asian Wave requires her to spend equal amount of time in China. "I have to be in Shanghai twice a month," she says. "They initially wanted me to be based in Shanghai. But I've told them I got commitments here. They understand."

No, her decision to stay has got nothing to do with her controversial actor boyfriend Sharnaaz Ahmad. "My boyfriend didn't expect anything like this at all. But he knows how hard I started. He says 'This is your time. I'll wait for you.'. We support each other no matter what."

Along her new found fame came the opportunity for her to re-learn Mandarin, a language she picked up when she was in pre-school. "Hi. Wo shi Shila. Wo lai zhi ma lai xi ya. Xie xie ni men de zhi chi (Hi. I'm Shila. I'm from Malaysia. Thank you for your support)," she introduces herself in perfect Mandarin.

Of course, she gets to work with the best talents in Mandopop, including Leehom. In fact, the gifted American-born Chinese singer/songwriter/producer has agreed to collaborate with her on a song – after watching her powerful rendition of his chart hit, Forever Love at the Asian Wave.

"I thank you Allah for all His blessings," she says. "I always pray and ask, 'God, when is my time going to come?' 'coz I've been in this industry for 12 years and I've seen my friends who are up there where I've always wanted to be. Finally, it's here. I want to thank my mum and dad for always being there for me. I've waited for so long. This is the perfect timing."

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan